Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Upcycled Flower Made Out Of a Plastic Ketchup Bottle

Can you believe this was once a plastic ketchup bottle?  I cut, painted, fired it into a beautiful flower.

I am running out of plastic bottles to up cycle into flowers. I had just finished this catsup/ketchup bottle. So I washed it well and began cutting. What was interesting it had 3 layers of plastic which easily separated. The third in between layer was too thin to use, so I ripped that off.

I used my Rangers Adirondack Alcohol Inks to paint.  The come in packs of three at Sams Club for quite a reasonable price.  I love the effects these inks give.



 However, to get this effect, you have to use several layer of paints, using different colors each time. The alcohol inks dry quite fast, so you don't have to wait long to apply the next coat. Just blow. Haha. I do:)  Besides, blowing helps spread the ink into another painted part and will bleed.  That's what these inks do well...bleed.  I love this effect.

This is what happens when you let the inks bleed into each other.  Pretty right?  Kind of looks like stained glass.
Just paint, pucker, and blow, but don't breathe the fumes.  Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area.
 Blowing is not entirely necessary, but it does help.
This is the bottom half of the ketchup bottle.  You can see the two layers of plastic before it was painted and fired.
 It was easy to separate once it was cut into the petals.
Well, that's it for now.  I just had to share this for all my crafty friends who also would like to recycle by upcycling too.  So till the next time...Many Blessings.

Sincerely,

Mary Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment