Wednesday, January 2, 2013

RECYCLING PLASTIC BOTTLES INTO FLOWERS

I don't know if you call it art, as I am no artist and I've never painted anything before but a wall.  However, I sure am having fun making these colorful flowers.  I live in a high-rise building in Hollywood, California, and there are no flowers to be seen except for the gardens on the 11th, and 6 floor.  Personally, I like waking up looking at these flowers so I thought I'd share how easy it is to make them.  Note, the molding part is definitely not a child's activity.  Perhaps they can do the painting and leave the molding for the adult.

What you need:
  • Plastic water bottle
  • Scissors
  • Long nose pliers
  • Candle
  • Acrylic paint
  • Clear Acrylic Sealer Gloss spray can
  • glue gun if applying to a stick
  • Stick, twig, etc.
See picture below for details.
1.  Cut top off bottle, and make as many petals as you like, making the ends pointy like top right pic.  Note I did notice that the more petals I made I had to be more careful of it melting.  It happens so quickly. Beginners should probably try 4-5 petals before attempting more petals.  They are more delicate and prone to melt quickly.
2.  With long-nose pliers hold each pedal over a candle flame carefully, until they bend the way you want it.  Use the pliers to help shape your pedal while it is warm.  Careful, it happens very fast.
3.  Paint with acrylic paint on the outer part of the bottle.  Wait for each coat of paint  to dry before adding additional paint.
4.  In a well ventilated area, spray the painted surface with a gloss sealer.











Some bottles have a cutting guideline like this one.
See the lines. You can follow it and add more or
less pedals.  You decide.  Cut as far up as you can cut.
You  will get to a point where it is difficult to cut.  That's when you stop:)
This soda bottle's bottom had 5 hard round shapes so  I made 5 petals.  
I went online and found a 5 petal flower
This was the bottom of a two liter soda bottle.  I gave it 5 petals.  The bottom is sturdier than the top.  Pretty right?
The bottom of the bottle turned into a 5 petal flower.


Bottle top  No image to go by...just did my own thing.

This flower has a cookie in the middle.  This cookie won't crumble, as it was
part of my salt clay dough,  haha, the cookie might outlast the flower.

Bottom of a vinegar bottle, turned into a sunflower.

My red and gold flower made out of a small water bottle.
 I used polymer clay for the middle.  Buttons will work fine too.  So will
bottle caps.  Pretty right?

Well that's it for now.  Don't forget to share if you like it.  Click a like link below.  So till I post my bottle cap pics...Many Blessings.
Sincerely,

Mary Helen.

































1 comment:

  1. Wow ! Amazing information showing through your blog, it's a beautiful decoration of things.Thanks for sharing bottle depot calgary

    ReplyDelete